There are so many people looking forward to the release of Dark Souls 3 but the developers (from Japan) decided to play with our hearts and release it in Japan only.
You can either wait until the official release for this side of the world on April 12, 2016 or… there is a little trick you can use which will allow you to play the game today.
Play Dark Souls 3 Before Release by Buying it at the Japan today:
First things first, as we talk before, we need to purchase this game from the Japanse store, so we need a Japanese PSN account. Let’s Make one!
How to make a Japanese PSN account on your PS4:
- Create a new user
- You will be asked to input user id and password, ignore this. Find the button that says ‘New to PlayStation Network? Create an Account’
- Sign in and choose Country or Region as Japan and finish imputing the required information
- The following screen will ask you for this information (in this particular order): Zip Code, Prefecture, City. For this you will need a Japanese address.
- Getting a Japanese address: Go to Google maps and find a hotel or guest house so you can use that address in the step above.
- On the following screen, you will be asked to enter this information (exact order): email address, password, re-type password. Remember to tick the box and press next
- On this screen you will be asked the following information in this exact order: PSN Id, Name, Family Name. Once completed select the button to go to the next screen
- There will be some information here, ignore it. Go to the next screen
- We will also ignore the information on this screen and go all the way to the bottom to select next
- Ignore the info on the screen one last time and press the button to go to the following screen
- As you can see now you are in the terms of service agreement page, select the button on the bottom left (Accept)
- On this screen press the last button on the right, it will take you to the final screen
- You should now be looking at a big green tick that informs you everything has gone OK. There’s only one button on this screen, press it and it you are Done!
I absolutely understand if you prefer a video than having to read those instructions, I’ve looked around and this how to from youtube user rust2emu (do subscribe to his channel if you want regular PS4 & PSN tips ) seems to provide very clear instructions, enjoy:
Once we have our new PSN account for Japan, we need to Yen so that we can get our Dark Souls 3 title! Once you have the correct currency loaded feel free to pick up the title for around 8,000 Yen:
Buying Japanese PSN credit in Yen
- Find a seller on Ebay: Luckily Ebay comes to the rescue, PSN Cards From Japan seem to actually be quite common and available 🙂
- Once you pay you will receive the codes pretty much instantly (do ensure the seller sends you the codes in this digital way before completing the transaction).
- Add them to your newly created Japanese account and you are ready to buy Dark Souls 3 at the Japanese PlayStation Store!
Sure, some people might agree using this method to obtain an earlier version of Dark Souls 3 could be considered in the grey hat area of things…
I disagree, don’t forget the main reason why there is such a discrepancy between release dates (and prices!) of titles around the world (which depend on the region you live) is just a way for the giants to keep making a killing on global profits.
So we found a way to exploit your loopholes and access material that wasn’t ‘made for us’ because Sony would make less money that way… So what?
The day all games are released simultaneously and at the same price worldwide, that will be the day I will stop trying to exploit (and given the fact I’m still legally paying for my copy of the game I would argue this is far from an ‘exploitation’) the system console giants force on all gamers.
Let us know what you think of the new release of Dark Souls 3 in the comments below, we always appreciate your opinion guys!